Stepmom

 Stepmom

nounstepmotherplural nounstepmothersnounstep-motherplural nounstep-mothers
  1. a woman who is the wife or partner of one's parent after the divorce or separation of the parents or the death of one's mother.


As I think about this word, its meaning, and what it really means practically in my life, I have a lot of thoughts and this topic will probably be one of the biggest topics I blog about.

You see, I never desired to be a stepmom, I don't know anyone that has.  It's hard, it's challenging, it's not natural, it's sometimes looked down upon.  However, it can be rewarding and fulfilling too. Like anything, in life, being a stepmom require intentional thoughts and actions.  Because most of it can be so hard, it requires a constant state of self evaluation. 

My journey to stepmotherhood started when I started dating Brandon.  I knew him previously and knew he had children.  Although, I did not want to be a stepmom, I wanted to be with him, so I did everything I could to learn and grow in my new role.  Podcasts, books, articles, followed stepmoms on social media, and had many, many conversations.  

I felt like I had a good grasp of what this life would look like, in reality I didn't. You don't know what you don't know.  

This journey has been harder than I ever imagined. The feelings of inadequacy, self-doubt, jealousy etc. have really taken me for a loop. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Story of Us

A little about me.

The unnatural struggle.